Thursday, April 26, 2018

Trip down memory lane: Occupy Wall Street in Chicago, 2011

A few weeks ago I sent some undeveloped rolls of film to the lab (in case you care, it's The Darkroom, in CA), and when I looked at the scans I found a little surprise.

It turns out that in October or November 2011 we spent a weekend in Chicago.  Of course, I took with one of my Leicas, the one that got out the least, a nice M3.  However, I also included (just for the heck of it) my then newly acquired Canon 50mm f1.2.  After a Saturday of sights and meals and visiting Central Camera in Wabash St., my wife and son wanted to take a rest, but I went out for a walk.

This is what I came back with, stored in a roll of Arista II ISO 400.  Of course, the first image is the interior of Central Camera back then (it hasn't changed much, but then, I haven't been there for some time).


Central Camera in Chicago.


Occupy Wall Street protesters in Chicago's LaSalle St.

 
 
Protesters holding signs.
 

Holding out for Free Speech!


Protesters on the ground.


Couple with sign.


Protester with flag

All these folks were congregated around the LaSalle street area, which is still the financial center in the Loop. But their activities were largely pacific; they weren't vociferous or even loud.  Besides, it was late in the evening.  The lens helped, though, and it was interesting to shoot with shutterspeeds as fast as 1/125 wide open. 

Are we back where we started?  Will it get worse?  At this point there have been far more demonstrations (and for different reasons) than after Obama's inauguration in 2008.  The passage of time is very evident now... even in this blog!  But we'll hang in there, because life is too beautiful to ignore it, and photography still offers an outlet when everything else fails.

No comments: