Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Made in Spain

This summer of 2014 I was in Spain, family and all, with a group of undergraduate students from my university.  Needless to say, I took a film body.  Again, needless to say, it was not any other Leica but the one this blog was started for: my M4-2 (and its inseparable companion, the Hexanon 35mm f2 lens). 

Here are some of the results from Madrid.

Plaza Mayor, weekly market
Custom-Made Poem, made by artist at the famous El Rastro, in Madrid.
Antique vendor in El Rastro
I just liked the textures under the intense sun in Madrid.
The lady on the bicycle saw me prefocus from a distance and smiled.
Plaza Isabel II at night (I think this was done with the lens wide open and at 1/50th or 1/30th of a second).
Light in Spain offers never ending opportunities.  Here's what I saw in Toledo during my stay.

Light leaking from a corner...
Light drawing boundaries between wall and ground.
The few times it seems to be uniform or even, one has to move fast...
It also creates beautiful effects... every day.
And I learned that nothing says "light" louder than pleasant shadows.
And nothing says weird better than shadows too!
A farewell to Toledo: night in the Plaza de Zocodover.
So, even though I'm slightly dissappointed (frankly, I expected better from myself), all in all, it could have been worse.  I learned something from this: not to repeat myself.  I don't know how many times I took the same photograph (the canopy over the street), but then... it's such a pleasant experience to do it that I may end up doing it again... and you, my brethren, my reader, will be glad to waive your finger at me and say "I told you so..."

Until then, thanks for your patience and have a very merry Christmas!