Saturday, February 12, 2011

Metering

Can be a pain... But I've been lucky with it. Here are some samples of relatively "hard" metering.

As the rule goes, with E-6 film, meter on the highlights. With B&W film, meter on the shadows and with color negative film, in the areas in between. Is it really true? The photograph above (a good friend of ours staying at home) was metered on her face... Not the brightest spot in the frame, neither is it the darkest. With very little PP, I think this is a printable copy.

Metering this scene was tricky. I must admit that I didn't think about it at the moment (after all, it's a snowy scene). However, in cases like this, the sky is my criteria.

Now, for the last one, I chose to meter on the visible ceiling. So, I aimed my Sekonic L-208 at the area in question and used that as my measure.

From these experiences, I came to realize that the mantra above is not entirely the best. It's a useful criteria, but when push comes to shove, that is, you're there with your camera and meter in hand, the best thing to do is try to meter for the subject, or the subject area of interest in the frame.

Sure, I had done this in the past, not as often as I'd like, but it only became very obvious when I got my Leica M5 bodies. With these cameras, given their metering design, you are far better off metering on your subject than on anything else. Even the manual says so!

Good that we can apply the same principle of a lot of our work.

Coming soon... using the Leica M5.


No comments: